Lancet Migration is a new global collaboration between The Lancet and researchers, implementers, and others in the field of migration and health that aims to address evidence gaps and drive policy change, building on the recommendations of the UCL-Lancet Commission on Migration and Health published in December 2018.
The Lancet Migration global collaboration aims to make a positive impact on the lives of people who migrate, and the environments in which they live, through multidisciplinary research, as well as leadership, engagement, dissemination of research, and advocacy.
This event was comprised of keynote speeches and two panel discussions focusing on the challenges and opportunities in migration and health globally, and the goals and opportunities for how the Lancet Migration global collaboration can advance migration health through multidisciplinary research and action.
Live stream recording
You can view the recording from the event’s livestream on February 5th 2020 here:
For a full programme and biography of the speakers please click here
Dr Miriam Orcutt, Senior Research Fellow, University College London Institute for Global Health; Executive Director, Lancet Migration: global collaboration to advance migration health
Dr Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief, The Lancet
Professor Martin McKee, Professor of European Public Health and Medical Director, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Panel session 1 Introducing Lancet Migration: global collaboration to advance migration health
Dr Jocalyn Clark, Executive Editor, The Lancet (Panel Chair)
- Professor Ibrahim Abubakar, Professor in Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Director, University College London Institute for Global Health; Chair, Lancet Migration: global collaboration to advance migration health
- Professor Bernadette Kumar, Professor, Empower School of Health, India and Norwegian Institute of Public Health; Co-Chair, Lancet Migration: global collaboration to advance migration health
- Professor Terry McGovern, Harriet and Robert H. Heilbrunn Professor and Chair, Heilbrunn Department of Population and Family Health, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
- Professor Paul Spiegel, Professor of the Practice, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Director, Johns Hopkins Center for Humanitarian Health; Co-Chair, Lancet Migration: global collaboration to advance migration health
Panel session 2 Migration and health: global challenges and opportunities
- Ms Rachel Burns, Research Associate, Centre for Public Health Data Science, University College London; Advocacy and Public Engagement Officer, Lancet Migration: global collaboration to advance migration health (Panel Chair)
- Ms Jacqueline Weekers, Director, Migration Health Division, International Organization for Migration Headquarters, Geneva
- Dr Mesfin Teklu Tessema, Head, Health Unit, International Rescue Committee
- Dr Santino Severoni, Special Advisor on Migration and Health and Director (ad interim) Division of Health System and Public Health, World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe
- Dr S.Y. Quraishi, Chancellor, Institute of Integrated Learning in Management University (IILM), Gurugram; Former Chief Election Commissioner of India
- Dr Apostolos Veizis, Director, Medical Operational Support Unit for Médecins Sans Frontières,Greece
Q&A with panellists
Download a full programme and biography of the speakers (PDF, ).